4.17.2013

O is for Orlando

I'm having a hard time thinking of something to write that isn't a novella.

But then I thought... I live near Orlando! DUH! Sometimes, it takes me a while.

If you haven't been here, Orlando is a fun place. I mean there's Disney and that. But it's a charming place on the opposite side of town too. I have found a fun book club and we always eat at really, really good restaurants.

And here is the truth. I don't like crowds, heat or humidity, so I'm pretty sure I'll spend the summers being a hermit. Also, the people here are... okay. We have now been to seven churches, and I think we've had a total of 4 people talk to us. And three of them were at one church. I find that to be totally unacceptable. I know I've mentioned this before, but it is really shocking. All the more each time we visit a new place. In the end, I know that we will find the place God intends for us, and the people may not talk to us in the beginning. So I'm prepared for that. But my goodness, Orlando!

My parents came to visit and we went to Cocoa Beach (a small, apparently unknown beach, too -- for the win), Downtown Disney (as they would not let me take them to Disney! LOL), Winter Park and some of the many, many shopping areas around town. Not to mention all the great food. And we had a great time. So in my book, Orlando wins. It's a strange place, in that it's not the country but it's not exactly urban... and it isn't a sleepy town but it usually doesn't feel quite as busy as it really is (unless you go into a Ross). And it's not exactly ghetto, but I wouldn't call it ...um... upscale either (or even midscale in some cases--and I'm pretty sure that "midscale" is a word). At least not where we live lol! It's a conundrum. But God has us here and I'm excited to find out exactly why.

When we began our active duty tour with the military, I told the Sarge that I hoped we could live in places we wouldn't otherwise be able to or choose to live. I was thinking of New England. Or Germany. Or San Francisco or New York City (because we probably couldn't afford it otherwise). Or Italy (swoon).

via
...And God brought us to Orlando. Which makes me think I should be a little more specific in my prayers because I certainly wouldn't have picked Florida. But God's funny like that. I think I will miss this place when we leave, if not just for our precious neighbors and their cute teenage daughter. And there are worse places in the world... I live pretty close to the ocean (again) and right next to a lake, so that's awesome since I love water.

Have you been to Orlando? To anyplace other than the touristy areas? What did you think?



And now for the fun...

The "Os" that almost were
Opiates... Don't ask me how I got here. I just go with the flow, guys, and it ends up on my blog. Just be glad I have a filter that works at least part of the time.
Officious People... I would just like to let you know that these BOTH were almost full posts before I decided I couldn't say the things I wanted to say in a public forum :) You're welcome, for that. Filter. 

Favorite N posts:
N is for Naina by Naina at C'est la Vie! ... because we are the same person in many, many ways. Except that I love dogs! :) And also because I appreciate those who dedicate a letter to their name.
N is for NovaBug's Desert Island Games (Or, Top 10 video games ever) at The NovaBug Blog. ...because THANK YOU Super Mario World is one of the best games ever created!
N is for Nutria at Homeless Chronicles in Tampa ...because... sometimes things that gross me out also intrigue me :)) A ten pound rodent... sick lol
N is for Nieces by JoAnn at Daily Blessings ...because a picture is worth a thousand words. I loved looking back at all her pictures!



love, me


2 comments:

  1. You are right, it is funny how God brings you to places you just didn't expect you'd ever be. For me, it's back home in the same town I grew up in. Never thought that would happen when I graduated college six years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! *high five* We've been in the Orlando area for 4 years now. We did try NYC and a few other state-side locations before landing here. I'm not a fan of the heat or the crowds either, but there are some awesome things to do, right? We were in Kissimmee for while, and now Apopka. Beautiful area--and if you're serious about finding a church, I know of a couple really awesome ones, especially down in the Kissimmee area. ;)

    ReplyDelete