4.16.2013

N is for Never

As in, "never thought I'd see the day".

My parents left this morning and it is always so sad watching them drive away. It was not easy for the Sarge either, but he has some heavy stuff on his mind. We had a great visit, though, and all things come to an end eventually so... I really should work on sucking it up.

Now, as for Sergeant J. Remember how I told you that "happy life" doesn't mean I don't have bad days? This would be a prime example of one of those less than awesome days. The Sarge brought home his last will and testament last night. He hadn't been expecting to prepare it and I certainly wasn't expecting to have to review and store it the last night my parents were in town.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a crier. I can count the number of times I've cried in the past ten years on one hand. One finger even. But I almost shed a tear this morning during our goodbyes. It is a lot to handle... being alone when you're thinking about really being alone. Overwhelming. Needless to say, when I got my happily ever after with the Sarge... well, you know... I never gave much thought to the inevitable. Inevitable because he is in the military and we all knew he would deploy at some point, and this is procedure. Inevitable because it is just a good, grown up practice to have a living will and a last will and testament. But tough because you never want to imagine life without your best friend.

I don't call life short because it it the longest thing you do... I mean, what do you do longer than life? ... but it is precious. Sometimes I just need a reminder to cherish the people around me and treat them as gifts from God. It's easy to get caught up in the mundane, which is why I even spend any time being mad about ridiculous things the Sarge says or does. But if I remember... he is on loan to me from God! I better be careful with him and enjoy him while I have him, because I don't know the Lord's plan. But I know his plan is good and I'm thankful for the time I have, with the Sarge, with the folks, with my best pals... no matter how long that is.


Favorite M posts:
M is for Musical Inspiration by Lucy at Lucy's Reality
M is for Movies about Making Movies by Arlee Bird at Tossing it Up. Because I LOVE good movies and am always looking for new ones to watch!





love, me


8 comments:

  1. I love how you said Sarge is on loan from God. That's such a good reminder to have about everyone I love. Thinking happy thoughts for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder to cherish those we have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude and the fact that all of our loved ones are simply on loan from God. Thanks for visiting my blog, don't let the idea of making a quilt intimidate you. They're just squares of fabric you sew together. You can make the squares different sizes so you don't have to worry about matching seams and viola! A quilt top is made. When you make your tee shirt quilt, make sure you use a stabilizer for the shirt material, it will keep it from curling and stretching on you. You can make it without the stabilizer, but it will be much harder and frustrating. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW! So sad and happy at the same time. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from A-Z. Good to meet you. I'm a military wife, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you through the A to Z Reflections and so glad I did. God always leads me to some great blogs and bloggers during this challenge. Will be stopping back!
    Blessings!
    Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete