3.27.2013

The End of Judas' Story

This is the third of a week long reflection on Jesus' sacrifice. Join me tomorrow for more Passion Week Reflections.

Today is a day when Jesus was quiet. He spent time with friends and family in Bethany. Imagine what he was going through, knowing what was to come for him in the days to follow. You could also call this "spy day", because Judas contracts as a spy. Jesus pointed out that Judas would be the betrayer tomorrow, but isn't it interesting that this is the day that he gave Jesus over? His action set the most important weekend in history into motion. 

We are hard on old Judas, but I have to stand up for him. Peter denied Jesus three times, and we remember that, but what we REALLY remember is that he is the rock on which the church was built (though interpretation of that varies from denomination to denomination!). All I'm saying is, Peter allowed God to continue His good work, but Judas gave up by hanging himself. Haven't you ever committed an "unforgivable" sin? One that you thought no one would ever be able to forgive you of? I know I have. I've been mean to people who didn't deserve it, I've betrayed friends in my own interest, and I've been selfish and judgmental. And what was Judas but selfish? No, I never sold out my savior, but we know the end of the story. If Judas had known the whole story, I have to believe he would have stuck it out. Jesus paid for his sin, just like ours. And no one is beyond redemption, as the entire story of God's people (the Bible) has reminded us again and again. The Lord is faithful and just to forgive and he will finish his good work in those who love him. Judas never gave him a chance to redeem. 

Please be Peter, and not Judas. God created us, in HIS image and for HIS purpose, but we all have sinned and fallen short of what He expects of us. And since the cost of living a sinful life is death and separation from God for eternity, we're all lined up like sheep headed to the slaughter. But there is hope! "For God so loved the world" that he sent his Son to bear the weight of the world's sin, bridge the gap between God and us, and bless us with the free gift of eternal life. All we need to do is earnestly repent of our sins, believe in Jesus and confess it with your mouth and call on the name of the Lord. 

Jesus became the perfect sacrifice just a little while after Judas had given up. He beat death! The Bible tells us that if you come to God, he won't turn you away (John 6:37). This week is a memorial of his work on the Cross. And Judas, and you, and I are all unworthy of his sacrifice. But he loved us enough that He died. Our response should be gratitude in the form of obedience. It is not too late, and you have not gone too far to become a child of the King. 

If you have not accepted Jesus as your savior, please contact me if you have any questions! God does not want you to leave this world without him. Your story does not have to end like Judas' story ended. He wants us to have life and have it abundantly. I'd love to share more about what that means! Email me at hello[at]aleasa[dot]net if you want to learn more about this free gift of salvation.

And if you have accepted Jesus' gift, spend some time in quiet, remembering what great sacrifice is coming up this week. (Mt 26:14-16; Lk. 22:1-6)





love, me


No comments:

Post a Comment